Band :: History

Band :: History
|03 August 2014

The early thirties in Malta were years of great social, political and religious upheaval. Zejtun like the rest of the Maltese islands, was involved in what then took place, what's more in a certain sense, Zejtun played a leading part in these events.

Ghaqda Banda Zejtun which knows it's origin to these happenings was founded in 20th September 1933, while Banda Zejtun itself had been established in November 1930. At first these two events within the spam of just three years, and the fact that the band started before the foundation of the club, tend to confuse the historian. But when one becomes familiar with all the events, one easily understands how and why all this took place.

Gestation Years

The first committee of the Worker's Party at Zejtun was founded in 1922 but it was dissolved after a short time. On 18 April 1927 Nicholas Attard and Michael Caruana formed a new provisional committee. They were joined by John Zammit, Benedict Magro, Vincent Caruana, Carmelo Tabone, Pius Caruana, Carmelo Vella, Anthony Caruana and Onorato Bugeja.

They started by looking for adequate premises for the club and commenced preparations for a general meeting which was held on September 5 of the same year. The first committee was formed as follows:

President - Michael Caruana
Vice President - Nicholas Attard
Secretary - John Zammit
Ass. Secretary - Carmelo Grima
Treasurer - Benedict Magro
Ass. Treasurer - Nazzareno Carabott
Director - Carmelo Vella

Anthony Caruana, Joseph Caruana, Nazzareno Cardona, A. Busuttil, Saviour Mifsud, Horatio Mallia, Carmelo Tabone, Consolato Caruana, Joseph Mizzi, L. Sciberras, Anthony Lungaro, and Vicent Azzopardi.
V. Rev. Can. John Vella was appointed Spiritual Director.

The provisional committee had striven to rent premises for use of the club members and had selected a house in our Lady of Good Counsel street. Because of financial difficulties the project was dropped, consequently President Michael Caruana offered his own house at 26, Piazza Maggiore (presently Gregorio Bonici Square) to be used
as their club.

The new committee started to promote very enthusiastically the welfare of Zejtun and its residents. Besides the excessive number of letters dispatched to the authorities requesting assistance for the families in social problems, the members of the society began giving free of charge lessons in the Maltese language to the inhabitants. They were foremost in promoting legislation in favour of the control of rent prices,
The Ebejer project and the compensation act assisting labourers injured on place of work. They managed to gather the signatures of 364 residents demanding the electricity service to be extended to Zejtun and strove for the covering of the main square with cement and for the dust to be removed once and for all form the City streets.

Labour Jazz Band

Besides Politics this committee also showed interest in music. Some of them could play musical instruments, since they had come from the Beland Musical Club of Zejtun.

In the committee meeting of April 16, 1928 Anthony Caruana proposed the setting up of a Jazz Band. His motion was seconded by Carmelo Grima. Six of the present voted in favour, while another six voted against. The motion was approved by the vote pointer
Joseph Maria Caruana who presided over the meeting.

As progress was registered in this regard, in the committee meeting of July 24, 1928, the same Carmelo Grima proposed the purchase of musical instruments. The minutes read as follows: "Motion by Carmelo Grima for instruments to be bought for the Jazz Band. C. Grima decided to himself buy an oboe as his instrument, C. Caruana will buy his Euphonium and G. Gauci will buy his Trombone".
The Bombardon was bought collectively by Carmelo Grima, John Zammit, Benedict Magro, Joseph Mary Caruana and Consolato Caruana on the condition that they would be paid back when funds in the Club became available. The Club bought the rest of the instruments and so the Labour Jazz Band comprising 15 bandsmen was born within the Home of the Worker's at Zejtun.

The Labour Jazz Band soon became very popular and was invited to entertain at balls, wedding receptions and theatrical shows. Obviously it used to be invited to take part in the meetings and other activities organized by the Worker's Party as well as in fairs and the 1 May celebrations, always under the direction of trumpet player Saviour Pace.

This Jazz Band gained such popularity that in May 1929 it was invited to take part in the Titular feast of Marsa. But Secretary Carmelo Grima replied "It's impossible for us to accede to your request, for we are not equipped to play in the open air occasions like this".

Zejtun Band

The year 1930 was an extremely crucial one in the development of the band. Invitations like the Marsa one and the fact that each member of the jazz band pledged to instruct a student from among the several youths that frequented the club resulted in doubling the bandsmen in a very short time.

The jazz band started to develop into a regular brass band, so much so that in the occasion of the fair organized by the Club in April 20, 1930 at Carabott Cinema (the site occupied today by the male section of the Zejtun Society of the Christiane Doctrine the band played a musical march, It was Easter Sunday. This proved to be such a success that in the committee meeting of May 22, 1930 trumpet player Saviour Pace presented a petition to the committee to appoint a bandmaster for the band. He proposed Onorato Gauci, a renowned trumpet player and assistant conductor of the Queen's Own Band Senglea. Saviour Pace was seconded by Carmelo Grima. The motion was approved with thirteen votes in favour and one against. Nazzareno Cardona proposed the drawing up of rules for the band, players and students in the same committee meeting. Bandmaster Onorato Gauci took charge of the band very enthusiastically. He used to give lessons every week to the students and frequently organized rehearsals for the whole band. The Club members were so encouraged that on June 22, and August 17, 1930 the band played during the popular bingo meetings in the main square in front of the Club. In October another unforgettable musical program was executed and the band started to be called "Zejtun Band".

First Musical Concert on eve of St. Catherine V.M. Feast

All this continued the committee, musical director, bandsmen and members to start taking part in the feast of St. Catherine V.M. of the same year. But this proved to be an extremely difficult undertaking.

In 1930, a bitter political-religious war was being raged.
Rev. Emmanuel Camilleri, the Club's spiritual chaplain appointed by the bishop had resigned because of the 1 May problem, the hymn, the Red flag and the society's support for Vincenzo Bugeja. Besides this the club as a branch of the Worker's Party had been hit by the Bishop's pastoral letter of May 1930.

The band's concert for the feast of St. Catherine V.M. had been prepared for Sunday November 23, the last day of the triduum, but for permission to be granted by the police, the consent of the feast's reverend administrator was needed. He refused to issue such consent. Besides being a brand new band Zejtun Band was also integral part of the Labour Club, hence the committee members had recourse to the British Governor and insisted that permission had to be granted by the police without the interference of anybody else.

Luckily they had started negotiations quite early. The letter to the commissioner of Police, then a British service man was dispatched in September 10, when it became evident that permission was going to be refused, several protest signed by 800 supporters were addressed to the commissioner of police. The destined permission was granted three days before the holding of the concert.

Carmelo Grima foremost in this controversy left in writings
"As preparation for the feast, the square had to be fully illuminated, but in contrary on this occasion the square was in perfect darkness and the only present light was that of the gas lamps around the band's platform stand. Some bandsmen from Unione Band Luqa used to accompany the band free of charge to strengthen our band.
In spite of what took place, there was widespread enthusiasm and several gifts where presented to the band".

At Cross-Roads

After this baptism of fire, the band grew from strength to strength,
during the committee meeting of September 18, it was decided to set up a sub-committee for the band this sub-committee began to function on regular basis in 1931.

At the end of the year conductor Onorato Gauci found employment as musical director of a band on a passenger's liner. Bandmaster Joseph Mary Dalli from Zejtun took his place, whilst Hector Dalli, John Mary's son who had been a regular bandsman and an extremely active member of the club became his assistant director.

On the other side the committee and the club were in great difficulties The society's first president Michael Caruana owner of the club's premises left the Worker's Party and formed a new political party. He demanded that the premises be handed back to him and started legal action before the rent board. The litigation between Party and Church did not cease, for the members this proved to be of great inconvenience, as they were not allowed to receive the sacrament of reconciliation. In July 1932 the committee informed Mr G. Bencini general secretary of the party that the number of the members had gone down to 80 from 300.

The situation took a turn for the worse when the club was denied the permission to hold fairs and bingos which were it's only source of income, permits used to be issued to the band, but this was block listed as an integral branch of political parties.

No mercy was shown to the Worker's Party Club at Zejtun, on
December 29, 1932 when the rent board pronounced judgment against the club which consequently became homeless.

Is it is possible that all this trouble cropped up simultaneously by chance? The committee and members had better to consider well what to do for the future. Several were of the opinion that only way out was to quit the society.

Life or Death

So commenced the famous year of 1933.
The members found themselves in troubled waters and the future looked so crucial. But President Nicholas Attard and the committee members were very strongly united. Instead of shredding tears, they bravely strove to sort out solutions, their main problem was twofold, they surely needed premises big enough to serve as a club and certainly located at Zejtun. Meanwhile they had to retain open the society and prevent it's folding up because of the trouble between the Party and the Church.

They were homeless and sought refuge in a small apartment consisting of just two rooms one above the other at No. 15 Piazza Maggiore, the place was nicknamed "Barumbara" or Pigeon House by a stroke of good luck after two months they succeeded to find another house at No. 2 Piazza Brittanica (nowadays December 13 Square) and transported the club's belongings there. The club occupied this premises for just one year, as towards the end of the year 1933, the premises today occupied by the club was evacuated and the committee succeeded to rent it. At long last suitable premises had been acquiesced making it possible for the society's enlargement.

The society could now make progress and better accommodate it's members, the agreement about the rent of the premises, the property of Mr. Horatio Mallia was approved in a committee meeting held on January 29, 1934 and thus the new club was inaugurated at the beginning of the same year.

Zejtun Band Club

From "The Worker's Home" the name of the club was changed to
"Zejtun Band Club" on its inauguration. The new appellation was registered with the police on September 20, 1933

What had happened?
When in 1933 the society was homeless several members asked for an extraordinary general meeting, this meeting was held on April 30 and the 80 members present unanimously agreed that till a solution for the litigation between Party and Church was found they would cut off all political connection, they also decided to retain the appellation of The Worker's Home.

While this measure helped the members to perform the religious duties the club and the band were still denied permission to hold fairs and bingos.

To solve this problem on May 24, 1933 the 40 members demanding that the society name should be Zejtun Band Club some of them were not club members, the committee disapproved the petition. Some committee members felt that the petition was a motion of non confluence members. But Joseph Attard again moved the petition and this time the committee decided to present it before a general meeting.
This in another extraordinary general meeting held on September 10, 1933 the members agreed to rename the club Zejtun Band Club.

This name had to be first used when they would occupy the new club premises, people of Zejtun continued to refer to the club as "Tal-Lejber"

In spite of all the obstacles and contrary to what many had predicted by the end of the year 1933, the society had found a way how to move forward.

New Life

Change was not achieved all of a sudden, and it took years to come, it was clear that the society had taken the form of a band club since 1934 and although it's main objective was changed the officials of the committee and club members remained the same.

1934 Zejtun band Club committee was formed as this:
Honorary President - Sir Paul Boffa.
President - Nicholas Attard
Vice President - Carmelo Grima
Secretary - Michael Farrugia
Ass. Secretary - Emmanuel Grupetta
Treasurer - Bendict Magro
Ass. Treasurer - Carmelo Gafa'.

Anthony Lungaro, Consolato M. Caruana, Peter Seychell, Anthony Cardona,
Joseph Galea, Carmelo Tabone, Joseph Sciberras and Carmelo Azzopardi.

Joseph Attard and Vincent Azzopardi were appointed revisers.

The band became the principal component of the club's activities, it had become so popular that it used to take part in bingos, fairs, carnival and in outdoor activities of this kind. Obviously the committee and members desired to also participate in the external festivities held in honour of St. Catherine V.M. patroness of Zejtun. As Maltese citizens and Zejtun residents demanded this as their right and were never ready to yield on such a point.

They requested to play on a platform stand in the main square and in front of their club on eve of the feast day but the authorities only wanted them to play in the lower square on the north side of the church, where they would be too far from form their club. Moreover on feast day they wished to play joyful marches in Zejtun main streets and to invite a band from another locality to play in front of their club.

In 1934 prevailing conditions were far from similar to the present ones. It was only after much manoeuvring and hard discussions that their request were acceded to.

But the society had become used to being forced to fight for all it requested. Nothing for it was to be plain sailing and easily acquired. The President and the committee knew perfectly that they had as in the past to use their brains and maintain the club members united behind them. They were also aware that in its majority Zejtun resident's agreed with them and were thus fully confident that their efforts will finally succeed.

As the first disagreement was the place where the band's platform would be set up, permission was requested on June 2, when the feast's reverend administrator disagreed the committee insisted that this was a matter of police. In that year the constitution had been suspended the committee took the permit in front of the Lieutant governor.

Two letters were addressed to him, the first on August 30 and the second on November 5, 1934. They had addressed the right person on November 15, both Church administrator Rev. Spiridione Grixti and Archpriest Pacifico Mifsud signed their consent for the band to play in the main square in upper Zejtun. It was another step forward and after three years exactly on November 5, 1937 their two requests to hold a band march and to invite for the feast’s evening a band form another locality were also granted.

All this greatly encouraged the committee members and bandsmen, Musical director Joseph Mary Dalli dedicated a lot of time and energy to the instruction of students and trained a good number of bandsmen. The band began to take part regularly in the titular feasts outside Zejtun as St. Dominic in Valletta, Our Lady of the Girdle in Gudja, St. Joseph in Ghaxaq and St. Joseph in Kalkara. In the Carnival of 1938 Zejtun Band participated with a triumphal and grotesque march “Wedding in Carnival". With the increase in activities and the number of bandsmen aroused the need of a new set of musical instruments, the original ones which had been purchased in 1928 were now outdated. Thus in 1934 an agreement was reached with Carabott musical agents of Valletta for the purchase of a set of brass instruments from the renowned English mark Boosey & Hawkes. But before the required funds became available and the complete set arrived in Malta the Second World War broke out.

World War 2 Years

In April 1939, Mro. Hector Dalli was appointed musical director of Zejtun Band. Hector Dalli was still in the prime of life with a profound energy and an exceptional musical talent. Under his baton, not only a great progress was achieved by the band but also the brilliant execution of musical concerts was the source of pleasant honour for himself and for Zejtun Band Club. Hector Dalli started conducting the band in difficult times, several bandsmen had been enrolled for compulsory military service, a section of the club premises was handed over to refugees and another section was hit in an enemy air raid.

In spite of all this the band continued to function and managed to present musical concerts of great prestige. From 1940 -1945 on the titular feast of St. Catherine V.M. between 2:00pm - 6:00pm Mro. Hector Dalli used to prepare annually a concert of higher standard than that of the previous year.

Property Owners

Mr. Nicholas Attard who had been President of the society since it's foundation passed away on January 22, 1945 he was succeeded by Captain Seraphin Xuereb M.B.E who previously had been Vice President. This change which took place at the end of the Second World War filled the members with a new enthusiasm. The founders of Zejtun Band Club had been endured with intellectual powers. Through not anyone of them was a university professor nonetheless they were wise enough to realise that first and foremost they had to be owners of the club premises.

They had been for along time hoping that the building they had occupied since 1934 would some day become their property and then their club. They didn't want to face the same difficulties they have faced in 1933, conscious of all this the new President encouraged the committee members to purchase the premises, and in February 1946 they conveyed their first financial offer to the owner Mr. Horatio Mallia of 1300 pounds sterling. Through Mr. Mallia was ready to sell the property, he asked for a higher price the committee delegated treasurer J. Attard vice treasurer J. Sciberras and V. Galea to carry on with the negotiation. After getting the approval of the committee they offered Mr. Mallia the sum of 1900 pounds sterling.

But Mr. Mallia answered that he had second thoughts as another bidder had offered him a higher sum. There was someone intended on thwarting this project, but Secretary Carmelo Grima and Vincent Galea once again approached Mr. Mallia and informed him that the ultimate offer of the committee was 2000 pounds sterling. As the treasurer could dispose of only 1400 pounds the other 600 were loaned against no interest to the club by President Serpahin Xuereb, J. Sciberras, C. Gafa, V. Galea,
G.M. Dalli, J. Magro, B. Darmanin. and S. Mizzi.

The contract was drawn up on Monday May 13, 1946

Purchase of the orchard behind the Club

Filled with hope and happy that they finally had their own premises, the committee continued to move forward and during the committee meeting of May 22, 1946 Vincent Galea proposed the acquisition of the orchard behind the club, property of Mr. S. Portelli who demanded the sum of 1800 pounds sterling. For the reconstruction work both on the club and the orchard to commence President Seraphin Xuereb loaned the society the sum of 3000 pounds sterling against a low interest. In August 1946 the contract for the purchase of the orchard was drawn up and signed on the site two halls were erected, one as meeting place for members and as bar hall, and above it another one for band rehearsals and in winter it was used as a cinema hall. A billiard hall was also set up and what remained of the area was used for open air theatrical and cinema shows.

Pandora Theatre

The funds became available for the repayment of the loans made, and for a theatre to be built in place of the open air site. Among the several suggestions made, one was for the orchard to be divided into two parts, one half for a closed theatre and on the other for an open air theatre. Finally agreement was reached to erect a theatre that could accommodate a thousand patrons. In 1953 plans were designed and relevant permits acquired, once construction work started in 1954 President Seraphin Xuereb again loaned 4000 pounds sterling to the society for work to continue. Works were terminated by October 1955. Pandora Theatre was inaugurated by a musical concert conducted by Mro. Edgar Lowell, during this inauguration a low relief bust of President Seraphin Xuereb was unveiled as a sign of the society's gratitude to him for all his assistance in this great project.

A new Musical Conductor

Mro. Edgar Lowell who had been appointed bandmaster of Zejtun Band in July 1952, directed the vocal and instrumental concert in the inauguration ceremony of the Pandora Theatre held on October 1, 1955.

Mro. Hector Dalli had resigned as the band's musical director on June 30, 1952 because of certain disagreements with the committee. During the spam of thirteen years spent by Hector Dalli as the band's conductor the band executed several musical programs of high standard. Moreover Hector composed his best marches that are still being played today. These classic catchy and popular marches attracted the numerous supporters during the afternoon band marches on Feast day especially those held between 1946 and 1950 that were among the best held at Zejtun.

Mro. Edgar Lowell trained several musical students in a most professional way and the band produced programs as a truly high standard, consisting of consummate musical composition and accompanied by choirs and soloists. Thus in the 50's and early 60's Zejtun Band immensely enhanced the level of music played at Zejtun especially on feast days. One of Malta's best polyphonic choirs of the time, The Hamrun choir was often invited to participate in the program produced yearly on the eve of the Feast day.

The band's activities along the year's never come to a halt, but the committee was busy with Pandora Theatre for whose smooth care and attention was essential. Cinema shows were held at least twice daily and variety shows or drama were presented every Saturday from their income thus achieved and since all the work was made by unpaid volunteers the loans made for the construction and refurbishment of the theatre could be repaid.

Zejtun Band at the Good Friday procession

For the people of Zejtun, the Good Friday procession is an important event in the calendar of the yearly parish activities. It is therefore obvious that the committee and club members of Zejtun Band Club aspired to participate in such an important activity.

Zejtun Band already possessed an admirable set of funereal marches composed by Mro. G.M. Dalli that used to be played on Palm Sunday.

The first petition for the band to take part had been submitted and refused during the term of President Seraphin Xuereb who, however was not let down and still hoped that sometime permission would be granted. The members insisted with the committee to pursue an assertive course but Mr. Xuereb chose to follow a less combative way and instead he donated in 1947 a set of velvet banners with Jesus last seven words upon the cross gold embroided on them for the Zejtun Good Friday procession. To no avail, the problem became more confused as King's Own Band had already presented a similar request to participate in Valletta's Good Friday procession.

On Tuesday June 3, 1947 a delegation from the club's committee had a meeting with the Archbishop. Though this was a crucial meeting, no tangible progress was achieved; it seemed that Mgr. Michael Gonzi was far most preoccupied with the problem of communism than with the participation of a village band in a Good Friday procession.
The information can be cleaved from the minutes of the committee meeting held on June 4, 1947.

Twenty more years had to elapse before Zejtun Band started justly to take part in Zejtun Good Friday procession, agreement was reached in October 1968 and the band participated for just in time in the 1969 procession.

Years of Change

By the end of the 70's most of the foundation members had passed away, President Seraphin Xuereb died on October 10, 1976 to be succeeded by Carmelo Grima, who had served as Vice-President in the early years of the club and as Secretary for almost forty years. Carmelo Grima considered as 'The Father of the Club" had played an extremely important part in the development of the band and club. However his term of office as President lasted for only one year as his glemise took place on November 19, 1977 Joe N. Attard who had been Vice-President since 1975 was nominated President in a general meeting held in March 1978.

Meanwhile two bandmasters had been changed. Edgar Lowell finished as bandmaster in October 1976 to be followed as by Paul Buttigieg A.(Mus.)L.C.M. who likewise was forced to resign for health reasons in September 1978. Following it was the turn of Zejtun born Mro. Joseph M. Barbara A.(Mus.)L.C.M. to be appointed bandmaster.

The Second Generation

While these changes were taking place among the leaders of the club and band, the second generation of members was in the threshold of playing a more active part in the society. Brand new members began sitting in the committee most of the youngsters who between the enthusiasm of youth and the experience of the elderly brought about a fresh wind of change in the club's life.

After the loans that had been made for the construction of Pandora Theatre had been repaid the committee embarked upon the project of widening the club's entrance that previously had been too narrow This was not an easy task as the intention was to erect a completely new facade for the club, measuring about twelve meters in width. For this project to be realized it was necessary to purchase the wine bar contiguous with the club. Negotiations with its owner took several long years to be concluded as they failed many times. It was only in 1973 that the committee could buy at least half of the property. The old facade consisting of two stores was dismantled for a new one to be constructed with a balcony along its width and two wide entrances. A wide and comfortable staircase was built leading to the first floor where a hall to serve for committee meetings was also constructed.
Vice-President Walter Zahra chairman of the commission responsible for this vast and challenging project directed construction works that were terminated towards the end of 1974, two years later the neighbouring bar owner decided to sell the other part of the property together with the room above it.

New Awakening

In the 60's Zejtun Band Club seemed to have been in a cul-de-sac. It's neutral for the old members in spite of their valuable experience and helpful advices, to experience a slowdown of their youthful energy and easily become lethargic.

The society was now cut from its roots and a tree that is unable to sustain itself not only fails to produce fruits but also withers and dies.
When Joe N. Attard was appointed President of Zejtun Band Club in March 1978 he had been active in the club for three years, he had been appointed Vice-President in 1975. These were for him three years of apprenticeship since President Seraphin Xuereb had advanced in age a great part of the responsibility for leading the club had fallen on the
Vice-President thus he began to understand the problems and mature in leadership by the exchange of ideas and advices of the old members who remained active in the club till their demise. He learnt a lot from the experiences of Carmelo Grima, his father Joseph Attard, Vincent Galea and Angelo Vella. From them he acquired useful in formation regarding relations with other Zejtun entities and associations in other localities. He started to insist that at Zejtun, Zejtun Band Club had to be respected like every other society and inspired the club member’s enthusiasm. He began his term of office with determination that soon became a benchmark for all the members, several of those that had stopped taking part in the club's activities returned to the club side by side with a new generation of youngsters.

Now everyone could understand that one cannot achieve good results unless one strives very hard to get them. While he was instrumental in breathing fresh air over the club, Joe N. Attard was also careful to preserve unity among the club's members even at the cost of taking a long time for no one to feel sidelined. Joe N. Attard introduced new activities and the band march on feast day was resumed. Zejtun Band had stopped holding the afternoon march on feast day in the 60's and instead had started to play a march on the previous Sunday, when the titular statue of St. Catherine V.M. was taken out of it's niche. Together with Carmelo Grima and the other committee members. Joe N. Attard decided to hold a band march in the forenoon of feast day itself. The members were encouraged to follow suit by Ronnie Caruana. This took place for first time in 1977 at the time Archpriest Rev. Panataleone Orland. Thus a through transformation of which all the residents of Zejtun became aware had taken place.

Renewal Participation in Carnival

In the years after the Second World War, Zejtun Band had participated with success in the carnival festivities held in Valletta.
In 1979 President Joe N. Attard proposed that Zejtun Band should resume competition in the grotesque masks competition, when carnival used to be celebrated in May.

Vincent Galea whose pleasure was to see Zejtun Band parading from Floriana Granaries to Palace Square in Valletta and back, under the gaze of the numerous crowds present, seconded the motion with which all of the committee members agreed, on that day no one foresaw that this was the beginning of an endless series of twenty-five consecutive years in which Zejtun Band would be awarded first prize twenty-three times, an absolute record bearing witness to the ability of bandmasters, bandsmen, tailors and two talented artists in modelling and casting, Anthony Sinagra, and Carmelo Delia. Carmelo Delia among modelling and casting was also an expert in painting and his use of striking colours, together with the shading has delighted lookers both in Valletta and at Zejtun.

Golden Jubilee Festivities - June 1983

Zejtun Band Club celebrated it's Golden Jubilee in 1983, fifty years may not be long in history of a band club as in 1983 several musical societies in Malta had been existing for one hundred or more years. However in spite of it's comparatively recent foundation, Zejtun Band Club had made a gigantic progress. President Joe N. Attard and his committee were determined to celebrate this anniversary in grand style in order to further its progress.

The committee members agree to celebrate this jubilee by embarking on new projects. For the last two years they had been preparing to terminate the planned works on time.

* The committee meeting hall facing the main square was redesigned by three flat arches surmounting mahogany covered pilasters.

* A new set of premier bells inaugurated during the execution of "Hymn to St. Catherine V.M." the composition of Mro. Joseph M. Barbara.

* On the initiative of President Joe N. Attard. "Grajjietna" Our history recovering the main events of Zejtun Band Club was published. The festivities were a success but above all they were the prelude to a new era and few could predict what a splendid step towards a better future was awaiting Zejtun Band Club. Work on an artistic bandstand for Zejtun Band had already begun and as soon the jubilee festivities were over the committee decided that this bandstand should be ready within one year.

A Circular Artistic Bandstand

Emmanuel Caruana, a first class carpenter and extremely well trained in wood craft urged to manufacture an artistic bandstand on well architecture rules.

Emmanuel Caruana had already designed an innovative platform on a perfect and esthetic plan, in fact the design of the bandstand he presented did not terminate as soon as the horseshoe was formed, but continued turning into a complete circle with the panels, pilasters, stairs and facade forming part of the same circle. All parts were designed proportionally, with the pilasters and panels joined together by a cornice necking in the upper level and by a dado cornice and foothold in the lower level, where the three stairs for the bandsmen and panels come to an end. The wide low like curved stairs was designed to accompany the design of the panels likewise curved inwards. From the end of one flight of stairs to the other the imposing facade divided into five sections imposed along nine meters width. The roundness of the circle continues to form, the facade esthetics is similar to that of the nine panels and ten pilasters of the circle, the only difference is in the height of the facade which is lower than the rest and the design is planned on an eleven meter diameter. It was clear from the very outset that this would be a very attractive bandstand. Work on it seemed extremely difficult in spite of Emmanuel Caruana's kind heart and eagerness when he offered his work free of charge, an example followed by other club members.

The committee members agreed that the platform would be manufactured as Emmanuel had designed it. Joseph Caruana nicknamed "Pilate" who had been the promoter of the Beland Band's bandstand inaugurated in 1978 encouraged Zejtun Band Club's members to start the work straight away.

The First Strokes

The strokes of the sledge hammer on iron could be heard resounding in the club during the months of January and February 1979. Saviour Caruana one of Emmanuel's sons had begun to form the facade of the bandstand. he was helped by Michael Bonnici and Alfred Camilleri.

Iron Works

The facade’s frame gave a clue to the extensive work that had to be carried out. It was Lorry Camilleri, Ritchie Caruana, Joe Agius and Michael Bonnici that embarked on all the work that had to be done on the iron frame, for the panels the central fly nut and the categories that had to solidate all parts together and at the same time form the three landings for the bandsmen and the lower front section. As the need was felt for more space, the committee of the St. Catherine's Musical Society Zejtun gently offered the Triumph Theatre that is situated in the club's premises to work in. But when they tried to set up everything including the iron frame it became evident that not even this place was big enough, and it was decide to occupy half Pandora Theatre. Here the facade and all the panels started to be covered with plywood. All this work was carried out by Ronnie Caruana, helped by Eugene Portelli and his comrades, under the supervision of Emmanuel Caruana. By November 1982, this work together with the surface was ready. However all it was there was only the framework.

Cornice and Acute Angles

Meanwhile craftsman Emmanuel was occupied with the carpentry work on the pilasters. His design called for sophistic work on the cornices, both for the turning on the panels, pilasters and facade, as on the dado. Emmanuel had also finished work on the cornices, but for these to be fitted in place there remained work to be done on the acute angles by the cutting of hundred of joints.

Joseph Abela who worked on the ten pilasters around the panels assisted Ronnie in this work. Summer of 1983 had arrived, work started on the smoothing of the wood, plastering and renewed smoothing. Carmelo Portelli painted the under part of the bandstand, helped by treasurer Joseph Attard.

Sculptural Embellishment

On the advice of master craftsman Emmanuel Caruana the committee members commissioned Zejtun painter Touissant Busuttil to prepare designs for all sculptural embellishments and furnishings as the bandmaster's lectern and scones around the bandstand. Touissant Busuttil drew designs witnessing to his ability and experience in this important branch of art. Besides the sculptural ornaments for the pilasters, he drew the high relieves for the panels rephrasing the musical lyre, and exceptional designs for the facade, with Zejtun emblem dominating in the central panel but would have been useless for Busuttil to prepare such beautiful designs, had it not been for Luqa born Anthony Ellul well trained as a sculptor to follow them and transform them into splendid works of art.

Marmoreal Designs and Gildings

In October 1983 marmoreal designs and gilding work started. Following the advice of Joseph Caruana nicknamed "Pilate”. A craftsman with a long experience of such works and who above all, was truly experienced in works of art. Joseph Caruana suggested that Tarxien born John Pace, a first class decorator would be engaged on all this work. At first Pace started to hesitate as he was well advanced in age, but when Joseph Caruana assured him of his help in all he required Pace gave his consent and in May 1984 he started work on the marmoreal designs and gilding.

The Balcony

Another suggestion was that the balcony be made of mahogany. A balcony equipped with balustrades and arches. Emmanuel Caruana and his son Ronnie worked on Emmanuel's own blueprint.

The Scones

President Joe Attard suggested that the lights around the bandstand take the form of scones and Touissant Busuttil was asked to draw their design. Charles Desira worked on the scones moulds with conduit each scone with seven branches and decorated by the Vella brothers of Naxxar. Charles Desira and Savior Vella finished the painting works whilst Saviour Caruana terminated the electrical installation, it was towards the end of 1984.

Lecterns for the Bandsmen

It was high time for the bandstand to be inaugurated. Joseph Caruana and Anthony Spiteri performed all the outstanding works, making it possible to be ready on time.

Carmelo Mercieca, Lorry Camilleri, Joe Bilocca, Joseph Caruana and Anthony Spiteri commenced work on the lecterns for the bandsmen, the lampposts, the railings and other equipment. The bandsmen lecterns were decorated with the musical notes of Malta's National Anthem as prepared by bandmaster John J. pace.


Everything was ready for the inauguration ceremony, 1985 was the year dedicated to music.

Obviously the committee searched for a summer date and discovered that the third Sunday of June was free of Titular feasts, the only exception being the Secondary feast of Our Lady of Lily at Mqabba. Hence this day June 21 was chosen. A whole week of celebrations came to a climax by the inauguration of the artistic bandstand by H.E. Ms. Agatha Barbara President of Malta, and then Zejtun Band executed an excellent vocal and instrumental concert on the artistic bandstand.

Mro. John J. Pace and Zejtun Band

Mro. John J. Pace Joined Zejtun Band as it's musical director in September 1984, since then the band has had one success after another, successes that were an honour for him and for the band.

For the artistic bandstand inauguration ceremony on June 21, 1985
Mro. John J. Pace prepared a splendid vocal an instrumental concert. Excepts from "Prince Igor" and "Turandot" with the participation of the polyphonic choir Collegium Musicum, soprano Mary Galea and tenor Andrew Sapiano delighted the numerous audience present. Memories of this pleasant program are still in everybody's mind. The band also interpreted "B' Sahhet il-Haddiem" a symphony composed by Mro. John J. Pace especially for this occasion.

For this program by Zejtun Band the bandsmen wore the new band uniform that had been worn for the first time on Good Friday of the same year. In fact the custom of wearing uniforms had come to an end but other bands followed the example of Zejtun Band and thus this custom was resurrected.

Symphonic Concert in Parish Church Tuesday November 12, 1985

One of the proposals made by Mro. John J. Pace the new bandmaster was for Zejtun Band to execute a concert in Zejtun Parish Church. In February 1985 the committee was informed by Archpriest Rev. Joe Bugeja whose term of office was soon to an end, that he had granted permission to Beland Band of Zejtun to execute a musical program in the Parish Church on Tuesday of the Holy week.

Obviously the committee of Zejtun Band Club asked for permission for Zejtun Band to execute a similar program in the Parish Church. At first there was a lack of agreement about the date, but on the advice of President Joe N. Attard the committee members agree that the best day for such a concert would be one of the Triduum days before the feast of St. Catherine V.M.. The European year for music was concluded in grand way. Zejtun Band executed a choral and symphonic program in Zejtun Parish Church fully edourned for the titular feast. It was an unforgettable occasion.

The climax of the program came when the band interpreted "Toccata" and "Fuga in Re minore" of J.S. Bach accompanied by Mro. Joe Caruana whom accompanied on the Parish Church organ. Similar delightful was Carlo Diacono's St. Catherine antiphon which a year later Mro. John J. Pace arranged as hymn for band, choir and soloists.

1986 National Contest

The most memorable occasion of Mro. John J. Pace with Zejtun Band was undoubtedly when the band won the first prize in the National Contest for Maltese brass bands held at the Manoel Theatre in Valletta, in December 1986.

His faultless direction and impeccable interpretation of the of the Opera "Carmen" as well as the symphony "B'Sahhet il-Haddiem" consolidated the win of this contest.

The win of this contest was and is still the best triumph a Maltese band can achieve on a national level.

1988 The 55th anniversary

In 1988 Zejtun Band Club was determined not to participate at all costs in the Titular feast of St. Catherine V.M., if the feast was once again held in winter.

Hence the President and committee members thought of organising another occasion for holding a festive march and another concert on the bandstand in the summer days. Luckily 1988 happened to be the 55th anniversary of the foundation of the club and naturally the month of June was again selected. These festivities once again offered an opportunity for Mro. John J. Pace and organist Mro. Joe Caruana to collaborate in the most original and innovative way.

On Saturday 4, June 1988, Zejtun Band executed an extremely good choral and instrumental concert, with the participation of soprano Mary Rose Ciantar, tenor Andrew Sapiano, baritone Joe Fenech, Amici Cantus choir and the St. Catherine choir of Zejtun.

This concert was held on the artistic bandstand that was setup purposely in the main square for this occasion. In the two parts of the concert when passages from "Torvaore" and "Cavalleria Rusticana" Zejtun Band and the choristers were accompanied by music on the organ from the parish church.

Several patrons could scarcely believe that this musical accompaniment was being played from the parish church organ while the band was playing it's music in the main square. Few knew that organist Joe Caruana was a first class technician in audio systems. With encouragement of President Joe N. Attard and bandmaster John J. Pace, organist Joe Caruana managed to achieve his objective by making use of a system of microphones and speakers that connected the band in the main square with the church organ in a perfect synchronisation.

The Titular Feast in Summer

In the week following Feast day one could every year hear complaint's about the weather. "At Zejtun we haven't got a feast as in other towns and villages, rain annually fall on Feast day" this was frequently heard but after just one fortnight everything was forgotten and everyone hoped for better weather the following year, something that never took place!.

President Joe N. Attard felt quite fed up hearing complaints and used to insist with the club members to move from words to actions. He was prepared to start a movement to transfer the feast of St. Catherine V.M. from winter to summer but on one condition: "We have to act together, the two musical societies of Zejtun, Zejtun Band Club and Beland Band Club. Unless we act hand in hand it's useless to begin changing, I know what we aspire to but we have to act together."

He was determined in his words as much as he was clear in his objective. The pressure on the President and the committee increased after the inauguration of the artistic bandstand in 1985. The members encouraged also Archpriest Rev. Joseph Theuma as well who was very fond of the titular feast.

The Right Opportunity

The chance for the two musical societies of Zejtun to come closer to each other came when the Presbyterian Council refused to grant permission to the Beland Band Club to execute a musical program in the Parish Church in the week preceding the feast of St. Catherine V.M. as had been done by Zejtun Band Club in 1985.

The right moment had come for a request to be submitted to the Ecclesiastical authorities to transfer the date of the feast. In another joint meeting held with the Beland Band Club, President Joe N. Attard and Secretary Joe Agius proposed to insert in the agenda of their meeting with the Archbishop a request for the transfer of the feast from winter to summer. They also insisted that Archpriest Rev. Joseph Theuma be present for this meeting. Beland Band Club agreed with all this. Now that the two band clubs had similar aims they could act together. The meeting with the Ecclesiastical authorities was held at the Curia on October 31, 1986.

The Transfer of the Feast

After the refusal of the two musical clubs of Zejtun to participate in the titular feast of 198, Zejtun Band Club repeated its boycott in the following year. The Beland Band Club continued to insist that the feast should be transferred to summer, however the Beland Band decided to take part in the feast held in November 1988. Although the pressure on the President, committee and members of Zejtun Band Club now increased they remained focused on what they wanted to the very last.

In this critical situation on October 30, 1988 Zejtun Band Club committee published all the facts and documents in a handout leaflet that was distributed to all Zejtun families, passages from this publication speak out for themselves.

November 1988 Feast

The date for the feast of St. Catherine at Zejtun in 1988 fell on Sunday November, 13 in a certain sense Zejtun Band Club was not alone as also the Labour Party Club and Zejtun Corinthians F.C. declared they would not participate in the Titular Feast.


The inclement weather had always been the only cause for all the troubles Zejtun Band Club together with the residents of Zejtun faced during the Feast week. During the week preceding Feast day the weather was not propitious for external festivities in fact according to tradition, Zejtun Band Club did not participate in the feast. To make matters worse on November 12, eve of the feast and on November 13, feast day itself a deluge hit the island. All outdoor festivities including the procession with the titular statue had to be cancelled. Through a minor scale the same had happened in 1987. Once again Zejtun Band Club had been proven right. People began to argue that St. Catherine herself had been upset with the feast being yearly cancelled because of the weather. The worst was now over, Now was only a question of tactics. The President and the committee were extremely careful not to make any false step.

The Puritan Element

The President and the committee had realised that within the parish's community there was a small but powerful element that was all out against the feast’s external celebrations. This group was aware that if the feast was to be held in summer these outdoor celebrations would expand, something that this small was against. The President and committee chose a prudent way, but they were careful not to let any one on their objective.

The Committee addressed two letters to his grace the Archbishop. In the first one dated December 6, 1988 they asked him to intervene personally. Now was the time for them to exert pressure to bring this question to a favourable end. In the second letter, dated December 29, 1988 they reminded the Archbishop of the promise made by Zejtun Archpriest and clergy that after 1988 feast they would consult the Zejtun societies to find a solution to this problem. This move had its desired effect and the story continued like this.

Joe Agius Secretary of Zejtun Band Club narrates these episodes:

February 11, 1989

The new General Vicar Mgr. Annetto De Pasquale convened the Archpriest and clergy of Zejtun at the Curia where the request for the transfer of the feast was carefully noted.

February 27, 1989

All the Zejtun associations connected with the feast were invited to call at the Curia on March 2, to discuss the petition.

March 2, 1989

For the meeting at the Curia representatives of the Parish Council, Zejtun Band Club, Beland Band Club, St. Catherine Musical Society, Zejtun Fireworks Group and the External Decoration Group were present. The common opinion was that because of the frequent inclement weather the feast should no longer be held in November, and agreement was reached to fix new date at the beginning or the end of summer, then the General Vicar suggested consultation in the form of a scientific sampling. All the representatives however replied that this had already been done when a referendum had been organised at Zejtun with the global result being a negative one. It seemed that the General Vicar was being pressed by a hidden element from the Parish. When he insisted on his proposal being taken up, the delegates of Zejtun Band Club left the meeting. By this move they triumphed over the puritan element.

March 16, 1989

The Zejtun Societies were once again invited for a meeting at the Curia to discuss a new date for the feast. The Societies however agreed to meet beforehand, to face the General Vicar with an already agreed date. They met at the church’s annexe. This meeting was intelligently
conducted by. Rev. Joseph Desira, representative of Archpriest Rev. Joseph Theuma who was indisposed.

After a long cordial discussion with opinion directly and clearly expressed, they concluded that a date in September would not be suitable because of the chance of inclement weather. Under prevailing conditions the best possible dates should be at the beginning of summer, the third Sunday of June and in the end of Summer the last Sunday of August

March 18, 1989

We met General Vicar Mgr. Annetto Depasquale and secretary Rev. John Galea at the Curia Rev. Joseph Desira presented in the name of the Zejtun societies over proposed dates and we invited the Curia to itself choose the date most favourable to all, that is the third Sunday of June or on the last Sunday of August. Rev. Anthony Cassar who had recently been nominated vice parish priest of Zejtun represented the Zejtun clergy. When it appeared that every one was quite satisfied he intervened to say that the clergy have got some reservation. When we realised that everything was going to be thrown into disorder, President Joe N. Attard instantly resorted that if everyone had any reservations he should have brought them up previously and not now when everyone had consented to the chosen date hence the General Vicar welcomed in the name of the Archbishop Mgr. Joseph Mercieca the proposals and promised to take a definitive decision in the shortest time possible.

April 6, 1989

We were expecting that the Curia’s decision would be published on March 26, Easter Sunday, or on the following Sunday, but the archpriest health had got worse. He had been informed of all the developments and was made aware of the proposal agreement. His demise which saddened all the people of Zejtun took place on April 6, 1989 we are convinced that if it had depended absolutely on him he would have settled the problem at the beginning.

April 14, 1989

At long last the decree establishing the feast’s day on Sunday nearest mid-June as the most convenient one was published. This decree had to enter into force in 1990 Thus the last time the feast of St. Catherine V.M. held in winter was in 1989.

November 12, 1989

As the exact date in June was not yet finished this could be the cause of some other problems, hence after the intervention of the new Archpriest Rev. Carmelo Farrugia and the two musical clubs of Zejtun, in agreement with the clergy It was decided that the feast should be held annually in the third Sunday of June. Although we had never insisted that this should be the date of the feast of St. Catherine V.M. at Zejtun this in fact was our preferred date. Thankfully at last every one agreed with this date.

November 18, 1989

The last time the feast was held in November, to retain consistency again Zejtun Band Club refused to take part in the feast, in fact for the third consecutive year the weather was inclement and all the external celebrations had to be cancelled through the procession was held in great haste under impending showers.

June 17, 1990

For the first time the feast was held in summer. Although there was obviously some parishioners that remained sentimentally attached to the month of November, Zejtun Band Club always understood their sentiments. But the vast majority saw in this transfer of the feast’s date a good step forward for the parish of Zejtun.

“Till we reached a final agreement we had to strive quite a lot and at times experienced suffering. It has never been known that anything was achieved without sacrifices. Today we are all united and ready to work together, Archpriest, Clergy and all Zejtun societies so that the feast of St. Catherine V.M will be beneficial to all people of the town of Zejtun".
Joe N. Attard

An Artistic Ornamental Banner

One of the major objectives of the transfer of the feast from winter to summer was a vigorous effort to increase all kind of outdoor decorations.

It is true that an artistic banner is normally kept indoor but for a vocal and instrumental concert it must be displayed on the bandstand and it is carried triumphantly during the march that Zejtun Band executes before the concert. It was difficult for Zejtun Band Club to possess such an artistic and precious banner when the feast was still being held in November.

Mr. Lawrence Bartolo at the time treasurer of the club left in writing: Joe Abela, Anthony Delia and I decided to urge the club members and the numerous supporters of the club to donate an artistic banner to the club. We knew that this was not an easy task, but we were sure that help would be forthcoming, as we were conscious that this was the desire of several members and friends of Zejtun Band Blub. We also knew that the outlay would be quite big as everybody wanted a banner that would respect the best traditional artistic standards, woven with golden embroidery and suspended from a silver cornice. We were ready to do everything from the bottom of our hearts as best suited for the club.

For this work of art we consulted Zejtun painter Touissants Busuttil, while we commissioned Mr. J Treeby to draw its design which was ready by August 1989.

Ms. Emmanuela Galea from Mqabba was asked to perform all the embroidery work, which lasted from March 1990 to May 199. Both the crimson velvet, the golden threads the spangles and other ornamental furnishings were imported from Rome.

Meanwhile we were preparing to start work on the silver hanger from which to suspend the banner. After consultation it was agreed to entrust Mr. John Bartolo, a Senglean silversmith with this work. After Mr. J Treeby finished drawing its design, Mr. Bartolo started hammering the silver in December 1991 so that all banner work on the banner was ready by May 1992.On June 20, 1992 the eve of the Feast of St. Catherine V.M. this artistic banner was presented on the artistic bandstand to the Club’s President Mr. Joe N. Attard who received it in the name of Zejtun Band Club. This was another work of art and another honour to Zejtun Band Club, another one of our dreams was fulfilled.

2003 The 70th Anniversary

Time passed and in 2003 on the occasion of the 70th anniversary since the foundation of Zejtun Band Club the band presented an excellent musical concert conducted by Mro. John J. Pace at the Pandora Theatre.

1700th Anniversary from the Martyrdom of St. Catherine V.M.

Zejtun Band also fully participated in the centenary festivities of the martyrdom of St. Catherine V.M. in 2005.

Worth mentioning is the musical academy held in the Zejtun parish on June 10, 2005 were the band executed : ‘Preghiera a Santa Catarina V.M.’ composed by Mro John J. Pace, Sinfonia in ‘fa maggiore’ by Frankie Diacono and the beautiful Oratorio ‘Il-Mara li Laqtitna Lkoll’ composed by Mro. Raymond Zammit F.L.C.M and script by Peter Miceli Saydon.

As a remembrance of the 1700th anniversary since the martyrdom of St. Catherine V.M. Zejtun Band Club commissioned Chevalier Alfred Camilleri Cauchi to produce a statue of St. Catherine which was placed in a niche in the Club Bar’s Hall. This statue was blessed by Archpriest of Zejtun Rev. Eric Overend during a solemn mass held at the club.

New Musical Direction

The next year 2006 brought the necessity to renew the band’s direction and after the success of the Oratorio in the centenary festivities and personal enthusiasm the committee asked Mro. Raymond Zammit to continue his musical career with Zejtun Band. Mro Raymond Zammit gladly accepted and so in 2006 he became the eight bandmaster in the annals of Zejtun Band. Together with Mro. Raymond Zammit joined Mr. Emmanuel Fenech as brass instruments apprentices teacher and Mr. Charlie Pace as woodwind instruments apprentices teacher. In November of the same year an excellent musical concert was presented at Pandora Theatre, such a concert has become a yearly activity held close to the liturgical feast of St. Catherine on November 25.

This has been the History of this Society throughout the years, thanks to all those that have striven to keep alive the name of this band and musical society and have remained loyal to the club.

May by the help of St. Catherine V.M. Zejtun Band Club continue to instruct and delight with its music the people of Zejtun in the forthcoming years with a stead fast pledge for the future.

2008 The 75th Anniversary and Diamond Jubilee

The 75th anniversary was considered as a great milestone for the society. Frome arly the central Committe together with Mro. Raymond Zammit prepared and worked hard for this event. During the tiular feast amongst other things the Youth Section donated a new society flag which was used for the first time on the Sunday morning march. Later Mro Raymond Zammit worked on a Cantata which was going to be the first of its genre in Malta. Mr. Sunny Aquilina wrote the lyrics of this cantata based on the history of Ghaqda Banda Zejtun. During the Annual Musical Concert held in the Pandora Theatre this cantata with title Dejjem 'l Quddiem was much appreciated by the public. A commemorative plaque was inaugurated by president Joe N. Attard.

2009 New Bandmaster

Mro. Raymond Zammit F.L.C.M. resigned from the post of bandmaster later in 2008 due to musical projects and work he had to do in other countries away from Malta. The Central Committee proposed Carmelo Mangion as new bandmaster for Banda Zejtun. Carmelo Mangion's long experience as bandsman and now in posession of A.Mus.L.C.M diploma of music was the right one for this post. At the beginning of year 2009 Mro. Carmelo Mangion A.Mus.L.C.M. accepted the post and Banda Zejtun had a new bandmaster instructed by its musical school.

2010 Our Bandstand 25th Anniversary

Amongst all the work of arts that Ghaqda Banda Zejtun expose during the titular feat of St. Catherine V.M., the artistic bandstand is the most piece of art that endures enthusiasm amongst the general public. Time passes all over everything and from its inauguration had passed 25 years. The central committe started to plan a great celebration that had to happen during May 2010, but during that month a terrible accident happened at the 25th November fireworks factory located at Ta' Silg limits of Zejtun. In this fireworks accident lost his life John Abela ex-sacristan of Zejtun parish church. In respect of this man and with great responsibilty the committee agreed that this awaited celebration should be cancelled and reorganised during November. The Pandora Annual Concert was the commemoration of the 25th Anniversary from the inauguration of the artistic bandstand.
The Pandora Theatre was setup for the occasion with lights and other decorations and the bandstand fascade attached to the stage of the theatre. This setup created a unique style for this musical concert. Mr. Charles Abela Mizzi compered the event and visuals on screen of the most important moments during the construction and decoration of the artistic banstand were projected on the Pandora theatre screen. Mro. Carmelo Mangion prepared a harmonius musical program for the event and wrote a new musical piece entitled Our Bandstand for this occasion. Mro.Carmelo Mangion conducted Banda Zejtun and executed perfectly the music prepared. Anabel Cassar a formerly Banda Zejtun bandsman performed as solist WindSong. Soprano Karen Camilleri and Tenor Joseph Aquilina accomponied Banda Zejtun with their impecabile voices. After the offical presentations and gifts, Club Director Melvin Seychell presented the new musical archive design to President Joe Attard on behalf of Ghaqda Banda Zejtun whom concluded the event with his official speech.